At the Paulinenkrankenhaus, we organise nursing care in teams, both for the management and on the wards. Our established standards serve as our guide for quality-focussed work, but at the same time we also need flexibility to handle demands which sometimes change rapidly.
Nowadays, nursing care must be planned to reconcile our clinical specialisation, the expectations of patients and family members, limited resources and complex legal requirements.
But it is not only duties that matter to us. We believe it is important to structure our working environment so that we can practise our profession with joy. This lies in our own hands, even though the circumstances are not simple. We face this challenge together.
The intensive care unit – intensive in every respect
We ensure that our patients’ vital signs are stable immediately after their operations. To achieve this, we rely on clinically well-founded standards and providing an individual induction for every new employee. We take over when lives are on the line. We are able to care for a maximum of 21 intensive care patients.
We have, and need, a large number of committed and specialised staff to do this.
Phone: +49 (0)30 30008-140
Ward P1 – a clean bill of health
Out team cares for patients who have had heart surgery and require regular dialysis (cleaning their blood) due to additional diseases. We can provide this in several different rooms on our ward.
We are a well-coordinated team of experienced colleagues.
Phone: +49 (0)30 30008-351
Ward P2 – the lifeline, part 1
Sometimes the heart literally stops functioning properly, and then only a transplant will help. We provide professional care for patients who are waiting for a transplant and for those who have already undergone this major surgery. The close monitoring and the highly effective drugs we use here require the utmost care in our work.
Our motto is: Routines are good, but precision is better.
Phone: +49 (0)30 30008-352
Ward P3 – the first steps
After their heart surgery and a stay in the intensive care unit, many patients take their first steps again here on Ward P3. We are needed when patients have to get back on their own two feet and gradually learn to care for themselves again. The road to recovery does not always run straight, and patients have to cope with setbacks. All the more reason why we are overjoyed at every success.
The physiotherapists and our nursing assistants support us in this demanding task, for which we have an increased staffing ratio.
Phone: +49 (0)30 30008-353
Ward P4 – the lifeline, part 2
A further treatment option for patients whose cardiac output is severely limited is a mechanical circulatory support system, known as an artificial heart. These patients are in the best of hands on the fourth floor of the Paulinenkrankenhaus. Experienced doctors and nursing staff monitor the vital signs, blood coagulation values, and of course the technology. There as many different types of artificial heart as there are makes of German cars.
But there is only one Ward P4!
Phone: +49 (0)30 30008-354
Ward P5 – putting heart and soul into our work
On the ward with the nicest view, we care for the patients for whom things are not going so smoothly: complications, lengthy progressions, setbacks to their recovery. Which makes us all the happier when patients complete their stays and we can discharge them to rehabilitation or allow them to go home. Some of them still write to us a long time afterwards.
Phone: +49 (0)30 30008-355
Range of services
Our clinical profile is completed by a modern intensive care unit, a functional diagnostics unit aligned with the care we provide, and a highly specialised physiotherapy department.
Intensive care and ventilation
- 21 beds in an intensive care unit equipped with ultramodern apparatus
- Over 80 qualified staff with special knowledge of intensive medical cardiosurgical aftercare
- Multiple monitoring and ventilation options at all beds
- Extensive differential diagnosis – aligned with our elective healthcare
- Invasive ventilation, including controlled reduction of pulmonary arterial pressure by administration of inhaled nitric oxide
- Non-invasive ventilation (BIPAP)
- The staff of the physiotherapy department work autonomously to apply a wide range of medically prescribed physiotherapy options.
- Their close proximity to patients through their physical work on and with people requires sensitivity, a respectful manner and friendliness.
- They keep their specialist knowledge up to date by means of regular training and continuous professional development.
- The physiotherapy procedures are aligned with the guidelines of the professional authorities and adapted to the requirements of our clinical clients.
- Gastroscopy with the possibility of intervention
(biopsy, sclerotherapy, argon plasma coagulation, etc.)
- Colonoscopy with the possibility of intervention
- ERCP with the possibility of papillotomy and stone extraction
- Bronchoscopy with the possibility of endobronchial and transbronchial biopsy
- Long-term gastroesophageal pH monitoring
- PEG and PEJ facilities
- Abdomen: including colour-coded examination
- Duplex blood flow ultrasound
- Thyroid gland ultrasound
- Echocardiography (including colour-coded Doppler sonography)
- Stress echo cardiography
- Thoracic radiography
- Bone radiography
- Abdominal radiography
- Computerised tomography using a modern CT scanner (Somatom)
- Examination for differential lung function diagnosis
- Ambulatory and stress ECG/long-term blood pressure measurement
- Ambulatory ECG: examination for differential diagnosis of heart-rhythm disorders
- Stress ECG: examination for differential diagnosis of heart-rhythm disorders in stress situations
- Ambulatory blood pressure measurement: long-term examination for differential diagnosis of blood pressure fluctuations
- Right-heart catheterization using a Swan-Ganz catheter
- Invasive arterial pressure measurement
- Tissue sampling for differential diagnosis of heart diseases (needle biopsy)
- Lumbar puncture
- Bone marrow
Kidney replacement surgery
- Haemofiltration (heparin- and citrate-controlled)
- Haemodialysis (on the advice of consultants)
Private consultations with Chief Physician
The Paulinenkrankenhaus offers all its outpatient treatment and diagnosis services within the scope of private treatment by the Chief Physician.
Ms Barbara Frie (office)
Tel: +49 (0)30 30008-125
Our outpatient examinations at a glance:
- Resting ECG
- Stress ECG
- Ambulatory ECG and ambulatory blood pressure measurement
- Lung function
- Endoscopic examination using gastroscopy and colonoscopy
- Appointment necessary
- An appointment is urgently required in the event of restricted kidney function
- Patients suffering from diabetes mellitus should stop taking Metformin at least one day beforehand
Magnetic resonance imaging
- Appointment strictly necessary
- Please let us know beforehand if you have metallic implants
Further services available at the Paulinenkrankenhaus healthcare centre
The Paulinenkrankenhaus is progressively developing into a healthcare centre in the Berlin Westend district.
The following doctors also have private practices at the centre:
Close network with a wide variety of specialist areas
Our medical partners come from all fields – from radiologists in private practice here at the Pauline to a self-help group for patients who have received transplants. We work with medical training providers such as Wannseeschulen für Pflegeberufe and with training institutions for physiotherapists.
- Radiology practice at the Paulinenkrankenhaus
- VAMED Rehaklinik Damp
- VAMED Rehaklinik Ahrenshoop
- MediClin Reha-Zentrum Spreewald
- Klinik Graal-Müritz
- MediClin Dünenwald Klinik
- Strandklinik Ostseebad Boltenhagen
- Klinik Malchower See GmbH
- FM Klinikgesellschaft mbH
- Fachklinik Feldberg GmbH "KLINIK AM HAUSSEE"
- GLG Fachklinik Wolletzsee GmbH
- KMG Kliniken SE
- Brandenburgklinik Berlin-Brandenburg
- Medical Park AG
- Rehazentrum Westend
- herzhaus Reha-Tagesklinik für Kardiologie und Angiologie
- Vivantes Rehabilitation
- Median Klinik Berlin Kladow
- Reha-Zentrum Seehof
- Klinik am See
- Median Klinik Grünheide
- Kliniken Beelitz GmbH
- Median Christiaan-Bernard-Klinik
- Privatklinik Lauterbacher Mühle am Ostersee
- Klinik Silbermühle
- Median Klinik Flechtingen
- Reha-Zentrum Bad Düben
- Knappschafts-Klinik Bad Driburg
- Median Klinik Bad Lausick